This cake is perfect for the fall season! The pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice pair perfectly with whole wheat flour and coconut sugar for a moist, light, and healthier cake! Add a buttery crumble to the top and you’ll love this fall-inspired dessert. Or, if you’re not a fan of crumbles, it’s also delicious with frosting! For a healthy, fun frosting use this sweet potato frosting recipe (use purple sweet potatoes to make it purple). Enjoy!
Need to serve a bigger crowd? Double the recipe and use a 9 x 13″ baking dish (same temperature and cook time).
Pumpkin Spice Crumble Cake
- 1 egg
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- ½ cup whole milk
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- 1¼ cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ Tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 5 Tbsp cold butter, cubed
- ⅔ cup rolled oats
- Preheat the oven to 350F and grease an 8x8 inch baking pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg, pumpkin puree, milk, oil, vanilla, and 1 cup of sugar.
- In a separate bowl, mix 1 cup flour, baking soda, baking powder, ¼ tsp salt, pumpkin pie spice, and cinnamon.
- Gently stir the wet ingredients into the dry until just combined (careful not to overmix). Pour the batter into the greased 8x8 inch baking pan.
- Make the crumble topping by mixing ¼ cup flour, ¼ cup sugar, ¼ tsp salt, oats, and butter. Use a pastry cutter or your hands to mix the butter into the rest of the ingredients until a nice crumble forms. Sprinkle over the batter.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with moist crumbs.