Zucchini boats were a staple for dinner when I was growing up. I didn’t love them as a kid, but now I think they’re delicious! This zucchini boat recipe is a touch different with the addition of quinoa, making it packed with protein and super filling. Made with fresh ingredients, this recipe is nutritious and so flavorful!
Beef & Quinoa Zucchini Boats
- ½ cup quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 3 zucchini
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 3 Tbsp yellow onion minced
- ½ Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tomatoes deseeded and diced
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 4 Tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- mozzarella cheese optional
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Combine the quinoa and water in a small pot and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat to low, cover, and let simmer for 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork and set aside.
- While the quinoa is cooking, prepare the zucchini. Scrape the seeds out and discard. Continue to scoop out the flesh of the zucchini, careful not to break the skin, and set aside.
- Place the zucchini shells on a parchment lined baking sheet (or use a silicone mat). Drizzle a small amount of olive oil in each shell and rub it over the shells. Place facedown on the baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
- While the zucchini shells are in the oven, prepare the filling.
- Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium-heat. Add the garlic, onion, and tomato paste and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and cook until nearly cooked through.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, including the zucchini flesh (excluding the cheese) and stir. Simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Scoop the beef and quinoa filling into each zucchini boat. Top with mozzarella cheese and bake for 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Enjoy!