This Pumpkin & Barley risotto is so delicious and cozy! Make it for the main entree, or take out the chicken and have it as a side! Made with barley, pumpkin, apple, and sage, this is not your traditional rice risotto. However, it’s so healthy, nutritious, and warm! This recipe is made with whole foods and is very budget-friendly! If you don’t have barley or pumpkin, easy substitutions can be made. Try it with brown rice, quinoa, or any other ancient grain. Switch out the pumpkin for butternut squash and you’ve still got a great dish!
Pumpkin & Barley Risotto
- ~4 cups pumpkin, peeled and cubed about 3/4 of a small to medium pumpkin or use butternut squash
- 1 cup pearled barley or brown rice or quinoa
- 2 cups chicken broth or water
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 gala apple, chopped
- 2 chicken thighs or breasts optional
- 10 fresh sage leaves, minced
- ¼ tsp tarragon
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Spread the pumpkin on a baking sheet and toss with olive oil. Bake for 20 minutes, or until fork tender.
- Meanwhile, cook the barley with the chicken broth according to package instructions.
- In a large skillet or pot, heat 2 Tbsp of olive oil. Add the onion and garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes until tender and fragrant.
- Add the apple and chicken and continue to saute until the chicken is cooked through.
- When the pumpkin and barley are done cooking, add them to the skillet.
- Season with sage, tarragon, salt, and pepper.
- Stir until everything is well combined and serve immediately.