This baked falafel recipe is a fun way to throw some Mediterranean Greek-style food into your weekly menu! With no meat to worry about falafel is easy, budget-friendly, and healthy! It’s also a delicious high-protein vegetarian option if you want to switch things up. Made with chickpeas, garlic, dill, fresh cilantro, and more these falafel are full of flavor! Pair them with the tzatziki sauce for a cool, yogurt-based dipping sauce!
Baked Falafel with Tzatziki Sauce
- 2 cans garbanzo beans (chickpeas) drained and rinsed
- 5 garlic cloves minced
- ½ onion minced
- ½ cup fresh cilantro chopped finely
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley chopped finely
- 1 Tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dill
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- olive oil
- ¼ cup cucumber about ¼ of a cucumber
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp dill
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Place the garbanzo beans in a medium-sized bowl and mash with a potato masher or fork.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (except the olive oil) and mix well.
- Roll the mixture into balls and place them on a baking sheet. There should be around 18 balls depending on how big or small you make them.
- Drizzle the falafel with olive oil.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until dry and no longer wet in the middle. Remove from the oven and let cool on the baking sheet for 5-10 minutes.
- To make the tzatziki sauce, peel and grate the cucumber. Squeeze as much water out as you can. Measure out a ¼ cup and place it in a small bowl.
- Add the yogurt, olive oil, dill, garlic powder, and salt. Mix well.
- Chill until ready to serve.