I’m not a big fan of stuffed peppers. In fact, I usually just end up eating the filling, so when I knew I needed to use my bell peppers pronto, I decided to just chop them up and put them into the filling instead of stuffing them! If you’re looking for a super easy, quick, and budget-friendly meal that’s also healthy, this is a great option!
Unstuffed Bell Peppers
- 1 Tbsp avocado or olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1 celery, chopped
- 2 bell peppers, chopped I used red and yellow
- ½ cup butternut squash, peeled and chopped optional
- 16 oz ground turkey
- 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp oregano
- salt, to taste
- 1½-2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-heat.
- Add the garlic and onion and saute for about 2 minutes.
- Add the turkey, oregano, and salt and cook until the turkey is nearly cooked through if not completely.
- Add the celery, bell peppers, and butternut squash. Saute for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes and simmer on low for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the quinoa and sprinkle the cheese on top of the mixture. Serve with avocado and/or sour cream!