- Heavy cream: you can use any milk or just omit it altogether. The cream or milk just makes the eggs go a little further, but if you don’t want it or don’t have it, don’t worry about it.
- Green onions: these are kind of the featured vegetable of the dish so it would be sad to omit them. They also lend a very unique onion-y flavor. However, if you just don’t have them, you can try like 1/4 of an onion chopped or a small shallot.
- Zucchini, asparagus, yellow bell pepper: You can use a lot of different veggies, depending on what you have such as yellow squash, green beans, red or orange bell peppers, brussel sprouts, spinach, etc.
- Bacon: you can omit or use ham, salami, cooked chicken, etc.
Hopefully, these substitutions will help you use up the food you have in order to keep that wallet nice and thick and reduce food waste.
Asparagus & Green Onion Egg Bake
- 8 eggs
- dash heavy cream
- 2 green onions chopped
- ¼ zucchini finely chopped
- 15 asparagus spears chopped
- ½ yellow bell pepper finely chopped
- 2 slices bacon
- Dash of salt
- Toppings: avocado, cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs and cream. Set aside.
- Start cooking the bacon.
- While the bacon is cooking, chop the vegetables and add them to the egg mixture.
- Once the bacon is cooked and cooled enough to touch, tear it into small pieces and add to the egg mixture.
- Give a couple shakes of salt into the egg mixture and stir.
- Pour the egg mixture into a greased 9x13 baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes.