Eating this soup is like eating a warm bowl of pure health! It’s packed with immune boosting onions, garlic, leeks, and a plethora of spices! You’ll feel so good after eating this soup!
First things first: the time to cook this soup can vary. I like to let mine simmer for up to an hour or even an hour and a half. It’s fairly hands off once it’s simmering. Simmering it for this long really brings out the flavor of the spices. However, if you forgot to plan for some extra time, simmering it until the chicken is fully cooked also works, and should only take about 30 minutes.
Next: this soup can also be made easily in an Instant Pot. Put the pot on Saute and cook according to directions. Then, place on Slow Cook to simmer.
Let’s talk health benefits, because there’s a lot in this delicious soup!
First, the garlic, onions, and leeks are part of the Allium family, which are particularly disease fighting. They are antibacterial, antioxidants, and anti-inflammatory. If that’s not a powerhouse of health benefits I don’t know what is!
The spices in this soup were specifically chosen, not only for flavor but also for their health benefits. These are just some of their benefits:
- Oregano-improves digestion and respiratory function, fights bacteria, viruses, and infection
- Basil-high in antioxidants, reduces high blood sugar, antimicrobial
- Thyme-high in antioxidants, antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, anxiety-reducing
- Rosemary-high in antioxidants, anti-inflammatory, boosts immune system, improves blood circulation and memory performance
- Ginger-anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, oral health, anti-nausea, reduces high blood sugar
As you can see, all of these spices are high in compounds that are antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and antimicrobial, all of which help boost the immune system and fight off disease.
Immune Boosting Chicken Soup
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 leeks chopped
- 4 celery chopped
- 4 carrots peeled and chopped
- ½ bunch asparagus chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp oregano
- ½ tsp basil
- ½ tsp thyme
- ½ tsp rosemary
- ¼ tsp ginger
- 56 fl. oz. chicken broth
- 2 chicken breasts
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the garlic, onion, and leeks. Saute for about 2 minutes, or until slightly translucent and fragrant.
- Add the celery, carrots, and asparagus. Continue to saute for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the spices and stir.
- Pour in the chicken broth and chicken.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat. Simmer with the lid on until the chicken is cooked, or for 30 min to 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove the chicken and shred. Stir it back into the soup and serve!